I published my first Android app

Now that the Android Native Development Kit has been released, I was finally able to publish the sources and binary to my Android Terminal Emulator. It's a fairly plain Digital Equipment Corporation VT-100 terminal emulator, with some features from newer terminals (like colors.)

This is my first application in the Android Market. There are at least 10 other terminal emulators in the market; we'll see how this one is received.

A bit of history: This was my first Android application. I wrote it for the original "Sooner" Android devices, and have kept it updated for the successive generations of devices. It requires native code because there's no public Android Java APIs for dealing with PTYs.

A bit of ancient history: I wrote two terminal emulators for the Atari 800 back in the day: Chameleon, in 6502 assembly, and a version of Kermit in the excellent "Action!" programming language. Kermit was one of my first "open source" programs. If you poke around on the web you can still find it here and there.



Comments

zuxfoucault said…
about terminal emulator

I have read the FAQ at github about "permission denied" errors.
What's the difference between "not permited" and "permission denied"?
It happened when I commanded "reboot" as root. I can "reboot" my device (DHD) using "adb shell reboot." But if I try "reboot" on terminal emulator(as root), I got the error "not permited." Is there something I missed?
Thank you!

Popular posts from this blog

GLES Quake - a port of Quake to the Android platform

A Taipei-Torrent postmortem: Writing a BitTorrent client in Go

A Multi-threaded Go Raytracer